October 25, 2016

Assessing Cases of Animal Poisoning

Tina Wismer, DVM, DABVT, DABT, MS, medical director at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, outlines necessary steps in handling a case of animal intoxication.

By American Veterinarian Editorial Staff


Tina Wismer, DVM, DABVT, DABT, MS, medical director at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, outlines necessary steps in handling a case of animal intoxication.

Interview Transcript (slightly modified for readability)

"It’s very important that the owners contact you as soon as possible after an exposure [to a potential poison]. That way you can assess what has been ingested, [and] how much of it has been ingested [with respect to] that animal's own medical history so [you] can determine if it is going to be a problem.  We can potentially figure out a dose and maybe get that animal decontaminated before it ever starts to shows clinical signs.

In many cases there isn’t an antidote, so treat the clinical signs. It's important [that] you don’t waste time looking for an antidote, and always question the owners to make sure the history is correct."

 



Sign up to receive the latest news in veterinary medicine.

Latest Issue

Client Education

January Client Handout  

American Veterinarian