November 02, 2016

What to Do When an Animal Ingests Chemicals

Tina Wismer, DVM, DABVT, DABT, MS, medical director at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, explains what to do if your dog ingests chemical products from around the house.
By American Veterinarian Editorial Staff


Tina Wismer, DVM, DABVT, DABT, MS, medical director at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, explains what to do if your dog ingests chemical products from around the house.
 
Interview Transcript (slightly modified for readability)
 
“With chemicals, especially those cleaning products that we find under our sink, the most important thing first is dilution. We need to get these animals either some milk or some water to dilute the corrosive effects of these cleaning products. We need to then determine [if] these things are actually going to cause some burns and ulcers in the stomach and in the mouth, and if so, we need to get them started on some GI protectants.”
 

Sign up to receive the latest news in veterinary medicine.

Latest Issue

Client Education

American Veterinarian
 
×